RE: orion-list Essenes at Qumran: A Reality Check-For Whom??

With regard to water requirements, my reference to tramping about the hills
around Qumran with limited water was not meant as an estimate of water
requirements for living there (I would surely have died within a few days
at that rate) but as a basis for saying that I find the figure of 2
liters/hour of water very difficult to accept. Certainly I replenished when
I returned to my hotel, but not 5 gallons! If the figure of 2 liters/ hour
is useful for calculating water loss/need, I could calculate the following:
During my 12 hour trek, I lost 6 gallons of water, and during that time
replenished no more than 1 gallon (including food; I ate one sandwich and
drank 2 liters of water). At approx. 10 lbs. per gallon, this means that
during the day I LOST 60 POUNDS of body weight, replenishing no more than
10; so when I returned to my hotel room I weighed only 110 pounds!!! I am
sorry, but I cannot be made to believe this. I may have been tired and
depleted, but not almost 1/3 lighter! Yet this form of calculation seems to
be implied by Rochelle (see quotes below). Or am I missing something?

Dr. Daniel K. Falk
Assistant Professor of Ancient Judaism and Biblical Studies
Department of Religious Studies
University of Oregon
Eugene, OR 97403-1294
Office phone: (541) 346-4980
Office fax: (541) 346-4118
email: dfalk@oregon.uoregon.edu

". . . the total water intake needed in that climate will
equal that averaged amount of 2 liters per person per hour. Whatever the
form of water intake, the *weight* is still there.

There is a simple experiment that anyone can do for him- or herself with-
out much danger. Weigh yourself; dress, then go outside in the heat and dig
holes for one hour. Next, without drinking water or other liquids, remove
the wet clothing and weigh yourself again. The weight loss equals the
amount of water lost in sweat."

PS: Daniel, so you tramped around those hills in the blazing heat for 12
hours -- with a canteen at your hip and a base camp with a water tank.
Right. Then you returned to your hotel and took a nice refreshing shower
or bath and replenished your tissues either in liquid or food form. No?
--
Dr. Rochelle I. Altman, co-coordinator IOUDAIOS-L  risa@hol.gr

For private reply, e-mail to "Daniel K. Falk" <dfalk@OREGON.UOREGON.EDU>