From: Herbert Basser
To: orion@mscc.huji.ac.il
Sent: 7/17/00 7:29 PM
Subject: Re: orion-list halakhah & method

The explication of the babylonian Talmud requires the following of the
keen analysis of the talmudic editors who present dalectical arguments
and
retorts to reconcile various problems in the talmud. Quite often these
arguments or their solutions do not seem to follow smoothely or else
appear to contravene established principles of the talmud/ a long list
of
authoritative teachers stretch over the centuries to explain the
unstated
assumptions of the talmudic editors and their which remove the obstacles
of the student and show with precision the various approaches of how
talmudic rabbis reconciled various contradictions in the materials they
inherited. the dss contribute nothing at all to the unravelling of the
talmudic passage. From a historical point of view, DSS help us
understand
the antiquity of some laws but by and large it is the talmud that may
shed
light on a passage in the DSS and not the other way around. an knowledge
of the history of mathematics will be of no use to someone struggling to
follow a specific proof in a textbook of differential calculus.