Re: orion-list Pliny Qumran analysis

SG wrote in part:
> 2) Dave Washburn. Your comments on the ostracon omit much. Briefly,
> omissions include noting the Cross and Eshel response to Yardeni. For my
> part, even if one brackets off the last word of line 8 as a questioned
> reading, other text of the ostracon (e.g., "in the second year" and other
> connections with serek hayahad) indicate its Essene provenance. I am sorry
> that you were misled by Norman Golb.

I've read the response, and was decidedly underwhelmed.  There
are no "connections with serek hayahad" beyond those produced
by wishful thinking, and I have no idea how in the world Norman
Golb got into this discussion.  I certainly didn't mention him, I
mentioned a photograph in Ada Yardeni's article.  However, I have
come to expect this kind of smokescreen from SG, so I suppose I
should thank him for not disappointing me...

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
For private reply, e-mail to "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur@nyx.net>