orion-list Agrippa in Pliny according to Dilke

Some things may take a while to sink in. Despite differing over an item
or two or three:   R. Gmirkin and I agree on a *Herodian source.*
That's not nothing.  Not pre 63 BCE; not post 68 CE-- Herodian.

	Perhaps when I cited volume 1 of History of Cartography, volume
1 (ed. J.B. Hartley & D. Woodward; Chicago: U. of Chicago, 1987)
Russell did not remark on it because it was not available to him, as
was the case with his note of an earlier (1985) book by Dilke on Greek
and Roman maps, which is missing lately at Duke library.
	So, it the hope that it is constructive, allow me to quote part
of one paragraph from the 1987 book (p. 208), which discusses Agrippa's
map commentary (the extent of which, as I noted, has been disputed.)
This quotation, of course, does not even touch on other writings by
Agrippa, such as his Autobiography, very likely a book of interest to
Pliny, as Agrippa was one of the most admired Romans.
	This quotation is by the same O. Dilke who RG, I think (I
don't have the post here), suggested limited the commentary to
measurements. Dilke wrote:

....In the Natural History [6.38.207] we are told: "Agrippa calculates
this same distance [the length of the Mediterranean], from the Straits
of Gibraltar to the Gulf of Iskenderum, as 3,440 miles, but I am
inclined to think there is a mistake in this, since he also gives the
distance from the Straits of Messina to Alexandria as 1,350 miles." The
word "also" in the final clause of this passage suggests a second
Agrippa source, and the verb existimavit (thought), more suited to a
text than to a map, is used twice elsewhere in Agrippa. Moreover, much
of the information on the west coast of Africa concerns animals and is
hardly suitable for inclusion in an official map. [5.1.9-10] Another
such informative passage credits him with with writing that the whole
Caspian coast from the river Casus consists of very high cliffs, which
prevent landing for 425 miles. [6.15.39]....