Re: orion Holzfest???

To Dave Washburn,

Concerning the "Holzfest", in addition to references already supplied by D.
Vandenberg and C. Batsch, I may refer (again - see my post of 1/1/99) to
the article by J.N. Epstein, 'Die Zeiten des Holzopfers', MGWJ 78 (1934),
pp. 97-103 (primarily concerning the Mishna Ta`anit 4, 5), as well as the
following:

J. Maier, The Temple Scroll, Sheffield 1985, pp. 82ff.

B. Jongeling, 'A propos de la Colonne XXIII du Rouleau du Temple', RQ 10
(1981), 593-595

M.O. Wise, 'A New Manuscript Join in the 'Festival of Wood Offering'', JNES
47 (1988), 113-121

and see my discussion (concerning the relationship between the 'Wood
Offering' and the final mishna in Ta`anit):

Pinchas Mandel, 'Lo Hayu Yamim Tovim Le-Yisrael ...', Te`udah 11, Mehqarim
be-Midreshei Ha-Aggadah (Z.M. Rabinowitz Festschrift), Tel Aviv University
1996, pp. 147-178 (especially 168ff.) [Hebrew]

Cordially,

Paul Mandel
University of Haifa
Dept. of Hebrew and Comparative Literature

For private reply, e-mail to Paul Mandel <pmandel@research.haifa.ac.il>