orion paleo-hebrew script

I am reading a very fascinating essay by E. Tov in the Hengel Festschrift-
and he therein states, "It is tacitly assumed by most scholars that with the
revival of the paleo-hebrew script in the Hasmonean period, texts were
transformed from the square to the paleo-hebrew script..." (p. 363-4, vol. 1)

Is this assumption really held by most of you?  I have always understood
that the development of the script was from paleo-hebrew to square, and that
the presence of paleo-hebrew mss at Qumran were evidence of their antiquity
and not merely that they were copies of square script texts in paleo-hebrew
characters.

Jim

Jim West, ThD
Adjunct Professor of Bible