Re: orion re: dss and aramaic

> Date:          Thu, 27 Nov 1997 12:09:27 -0600
> To:            orion@mscc.huji.ac.il
> From:          djefferi@students.wisc.edu (Daryl F. Jefferies)
> Subject:       Re: orion re: dss and aramaic

> Jim West wrote:
> >
> >further, that the divine name is rendered in paleo-hebrew script in a number
> >of documents seems to indicate not only that the name was viewed as sacred-
> >but that it should not be pronounced.  Now if a pesher were by chance picked
> >up by a "non-initiate" and they were, by chance, educated enought to read
> >it, then maybe the second line of defense was preciesly the hiding of the
> >divine name in a script no longer generally recognized. ???
>
> Following this line of reaoning, how do we understand the presence of
> entire documents in paleo Hebrew (e.g., Exod.) along side (in cave 4)
> copies of the same book in the presumably more "readable" square script?
>
> Did the use of paleo script indicate a particular dergee of reverence for
> the texts written in it?
>
> Daryl Jefferies
> Madison, WI
>

> Daryl Jefferies
>

> A further problem is this: how can we be certain that scrolls
written in Aramaic, square script Hebrew and palaeo-Hebrew were
authored or copied either by a single group, or by a single group during a
single period in its development? Texts of (e.g.) Exodus and
Leviticus written in palaeo-Hebrew may be representative of a
particular stage in the Qumran sect's theological development.

James Harding
University of Sheffield