orion Did Sectarians/Sadducees accept some Oral traditions?

Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 14:24:00 -0500
To: orion@mscc.huji.ac.il
From: David Goldman <davic@pop.erols.com>
Subject: Did Sectarians/Sadducees accept some Oral traditions?

>From my earlier posting regarding the Genesis Apocryphon and its reference
to the same midrashic story about Sarah and Pharoah, I was wondering
whether in fact sectarians may have differentiated between traditions of
law ostensibly unrelated to the explicit scripture, and oral traditions
connected to amplifying historical data about biblical events. Thus they
may have accepted Pharisee midrashic oral traditions while rejecting the
halachic ones.

For that matter, I wonder to what extent they may have accepted halacha/law
ascribed to the oral tradition which WERE connected to the explicit
scriptural text.

David Goldman
davic@erols.com