Re: More Inkwells

Having just read Greg Doudna's communication, and now this which supports
it, might I also second the methodological logic implicit in the
argumentation. It makes eminent sense.
Quite a while ago I read and copied out something which I now alter slightly
and quote -- as relevant to one of the basic problems of Qumran studies:
        The hypotheses of the early scholars in the field are like mist on
eyeglasses
        They obscure the clear view of facts.
Sincerely, ngc

At 10:37 PM 24/11/96 AST, you wrote:
>I'll let Ian finish this argument by supplying the data I don't have.
>
>Nearly every tax/tribute paying scene in Egyptian tombs shows a scribe
>with one pen behind his ear making accounts with another on his stretched
>linen lapboard.  Yet scribe kits finds outside of burials are rare, so I
>understand... (Ian?)
>
>There were at least three scribe kits in Tut Ankh Amen's tomb.  Does this mean
>that tombs were scriptoriums?  (There were no scrolls found in Tut's tomb
>either, BTW.)
>
>Maybe Greg and Golb's questioning is likely to be worthwhile?
>
>Tom Simms

Sincerely,

Dr. Naomi G. Cohen
Haifa University