crosspost from Ioudaios

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 1996 00:04:55 EST
From: Steven Fraade <frasted@minerva.cis.yale.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <ioudaios-l@lehigh.edu>
Subject: Re: Languages in Palestine

On this subject, you might want to consult my article, "Rabbinic Views on
the Practice of Targum, and Multilingualism in the Jewish Galilee of the
Third-Sixth Centuries," in Lee I. Levine, ed., _The Galilee in Late
Antiquity_ (New York and Jerusalem: Jewish Theological Seminary of
America, 1992; distributed by Harvard Univ. Press), pp. 253-286.  The
article is a precis of a book nearing completion.  There is no reason to
assume that "spoken language" was any more monolingual than literary
usage.  It all depends on context, or as sociolinguists say, domain, not
to mention geographical and social variation.

Steven D. Fraade
Department of Religious Studies          Office Tel: (203) 432-0828
Yale University                          Office Fax: (203) 432-7844
P.O. Box 208287 / 320 Temple Street      Internet: frasted@yalevm.cis.yale.edu
New Haven, CT 06520-8287