crosspost from Ioudaios

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 1996 00:15:03 EST
From: Paul V. M. Flesher <PFlesher@uwyo.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <ioudaios-l@lehigh.edu>
Subject: Languages in Palestine

OK, with Jim Davila's comments and the remarks by David Suter, we are
getting somewhere.  Now my question is: can we move beyond saying we have
evidence for Hebrew, we have evidence for Aramaic, and, as Tom Longstaff
reminded us, we have evidence for Greek? Is it yet possible to assign these
to specific social areas, whether these are defined geographically (e.g.,
Upper Galilee for Aramaic, Sepphoris for Greek), by class (e.g., upper
class for Greek, lower class for Aramaic), by religious knowledge (Aramaic
for the working class, Hebrew for the educated rabbis), or by some other
criterion?  I am particularly interested in this issue as we move later in
history after the destruction of the Temple.

Paul

Paul V. M. Flesher
Religious Studies
University of Wyoming