Fellowships and Study opportunities 2016
To see the Orion Center Fellowship please Click here
The Fellowships/Scholarships/Grants are organized by application deadline
Tel Aviv University Scholarship Opportunities
2017 Chicago-Yale Pentateuch Colloquium Call for Student Applications
: November 1, 2016.
: February 5–6, 2017
CALLS FOR APPLICATIONS: National Humanities Center (RTP, NC)
: October 18, 2016
: Located in the progressive Triangle region of North Carolina,
: Residential Fellowships 2017-2018
The National Humanities Center invites applications for academic-year or one-semester residencies. Fellowship applicants must have a PhD or equivalent scholarly credentials. Mid-career as well as senior scholars from all areas of the humanities are welcome; emerging scholars with a strong record of peer-reviewed work are also invited to apply. The Center does not normally support the revision of a doctoral dissertation.
Located in the progressive Triangle region of North Carolina, the Center affords access to the rich cultural and intellectual communities supported by the area's research institutes, universities, and dynamic arts scene. Fellows have private studies and the unparalleled, comprehensive library service delivers all requested research materials. Scholars from all parts of the globe are eligible; a stipend and travel expenses are provided.
The National Humanities Center does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, gender identity, religion, national or ethnic origin, handicap, sexual orientation, or age. We are dedicated to fair treatment, diversity, and inclusion.
National Humanities Center, 7 T.W. Alexander Drive, P.O. Box 12256, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709
POSTDOCS: Princeton Society of Fellows in the Liberal Arts
: September 15, 2016
: Princeton University Society of Fellows in the Liberal Arts
: Annual salary: approx. $84,500
Two PhD positions in Semitic Languages
: September 30th 2016
: Jan 2017
: Uppsala University
: Uppsala - Sweden
: Local salary regulations apply
Andrew W. Mellon Postdoctoral Fellow in Religion
: August 29, 2016br>
: January 1, 2017
: The Bowdoin College Department of Religion
: Maine 04011
Research Fellow in "Material Text Cultures"
: until 30th of June 2016
: Heidelberg University’s Collaborative Research Centre
Heidelberg University’s Collaborative Research Centre 933 (CRC 933) “Material Text Cultures“ offers a vacant job position for a
Research Fellow (E 13 100%)
In the sub-project B04 (Jewish Studies)
The Holberg Prize 2017
The deadline for nominations
: is 15 June 2016
FELLOWSHIPS: Research Assistantships (Trinity Western University, CA) for 2016-2017
: April 2016
: Trinity Western University
M.A. in Biblical Studies Program
The M.A. in Biblical Studies program is now accepting applications for the following:
1) Two Research Assistantships to the Canada Research Chair in Dead Sea Scrolls Studies, under the supervision of Dr. Peter W. Flint (up to $12,000 each, subject to funding). Half of this amount ($6,000) will be awarded as a scholarship, and half ($6,000) will be for work done on a CRC Dead Sea Scrolls project. The main current projects are: a new edition of the Great Psalms Scroll from Cave 11, and the first critical edition of the Book of Psalms for The Hebrew Bible: A Critical Edition (HBCE). See the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1QoTCOBY9o
2) Other research funds. As research assistantships for smaller amounts become available throughout the year, applicants who did not receive the major awards receive first consideration.
Note: All applicants admitted to the M.A. in Biblical Studies program are also considered for M.A. funding available, and no additional application is required.
Who is eligible to apply?
All new and continuing M.A. in Biblical Studies students enrolled in 2016-2017 are eligible to apply. However, preference will be given to students with an interest in the Dead Sea Scrolls, and/or a desire to write their thesis on a Dead Sea Scrolls-related topic. Applicants are expected to maintain full time registration in the program for the duration of the award; i.e. a minimum of 9 hours of coursework per semester or registration in Thesis I and Thesis II. Students receiving the Research Assistantship in the first year may have it renewed for a second year, depending on successful progress in their academic studies and research work and depending on the availability of funding.
Applications and references are to be submitted via email to Dr. Tony Cummins, Director of the M.A. in Biblical Studies (mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org
), no later than April 1, 2016. All applicants will be notified by the end of April, and sooner if possible. If a suitable candidate is not found for a particular Research Assistantship, the deadline may be extended or the Assistantship may not be awarded.
1. Send an e-mail to Dr. Tony Cummins stating your intention to apply for a Research Assistantship (mailto:email@example.com
2. Request an academic reference letter be sent directly to Dr. Tony Cummins. Please ask referees to speak directly to your strengths in biblical and cognate languages as demonstrated through coursework; familiarity with standard text-critical methodologies and resources; capacity to work both independently and in collaboration on research projects; and any other proficiencies or skills-e.g., ability to use Bible software and/or Adobe Photoshop - that would be deemed an asset to the Canada Research Chair team.
3. Submit an application - consisting of a cover letter and resume - that highlight your academic background, biblical and cognate languages, experience, interests, and abilities, showing your strengths as a candidate for the Research Assistantship. Please include:
a) Personal details (name, address, phone number, e-mail)
b) Academic history
c) Personal research interests and potential thesis topic, if known
d) Related work history including past research and teaching assistantships
e) Any work and/or research or teaching assistant commitments for 2016-2017
f) Languages studied, listing courses taken and/or level of proficiency
g) Relevant computer skills (be specific concerning platform and programs)
h) Education and career objectives
Gorgias Book Grant
: April 6, 2016 Grant Date May 6, 2016
Gorgias Press is pleased to announce that applications may now be submitted for the Gorgias Book Grant. Every year, Gorgias chooses two graduate students to receive an award of $500 worth of Gorgias titles (each) for demonstrating excellence in their fields.
2015-2016 Grant Field: Any field within the scope of Gorgias Publications Application Deadline April 6, 2016 Grant Date May 6, 2016
1. Candidate must be enrolled in a graduate program (Master's or Ph.D.) in an accredited university or an institution of learning in the field of the grant.
2. Candidate must have the equivalent of a GPA of 3.0 or higher.
To apply, please email the following to Jeff Haines
1. A letter indicating your interests in your field and plans for the future.
2. A two-page description of your thesis, or a one-page description of your course work in the case of course-based programs.
Send the following items by mail to: Gorgias Press LLC, Book Grants Program, 954 River Rd., Piscataway, NJ 08854.
3. Official transcripts of the previous 2 years of university education. If the institutions you come from do not give out transcripts, please contact us to make alternative arrangements to satisfy this requirement.
4. Two letters of recommendations from professors familiar with your work (one must be your current supervisor in the field of the grant).
Scripta Qumranica Electronica
Post-doctoral Fellowship: Digital Editions of Qumran Scrolls
: March 20, 2016
: between May 1st and October 1st 2016
: The German-Israeli research project Scripta Qumranica Electronica
: University of Haifa.
: will last for three years
: The sum of the fellowship is 22,000 Euro per year
Two PhD positions in NWO/FWO project Models of Textual Communities and Digital Palaeography of the Dead Sea Scrolls
: 1 April 2016
Within the framework of Cooperation Flanders, a joint initiative of FWO (the Research Foundation - Flanders) and NWO (The Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research), the Faculties of Theology and Religious Studies of the University of Groningen and KU Leuven host the research project Models of Textual Communities and Digital Palaeography of the Dead Sea Scrolls. At each faculty a 4-years (1.0 fte) fully funded PhD position is provided.
The Faculty of Theology and Religious Studies of the University of Groningen (The Netherlands) provides a PhD position for the subproject Literary Heterogeneity and Religious Diversity in the Dead Sea Scrolls. The Faculty of Theology and Religious Studies of the KU Leuven (Belgium) provides a PhD position for the subproject Diachronicity in the Dead Sea Scrolls Collections.
Both PhD projects will be supervised jointly by the Groningen and Leuven project leaders. Applicants can express interest in either or both positions.
: February 1, 2016
: THE AMERICAN CENTER OF ORIENTAL RESEARCH
: AMMAN, Jordan
: six months, between August 15, 2016 and December 31, 2017