Re: orion-list Pliny HN 5.73, Agrippa, Nicolaus, 'nocent'

The book you mention is in the Van Pelt Library of the University of
Pennsylvania. But I am not able to enter the library; Jay Treat or Bob
Kraft would be able to do so, and may have the time and interest to get
the book. Jay reads Syriac--I don't know whether he can decipher Arabic,
but I wouldn't put it past him. Within a few days, I may be able to
prevail on a Library staff member to xerox the pages for me, or arrange
for a Library assistant who reads Hebrew.

Earlier today I read Isidoros's contributions on _nocent_, and appreciate
your cautionary note. It *is interesting that Isidoros locates the phrase
in Asia Minor or Phrygia or Syria (roughly speaking) as compared to
*different phraseology more likely, more attested, from Alexandria.

What is also necessary, in addition to attesting and tracking the phrase
<Gk>nekra thalassos</>, is to answer the question, "Why would Pliny have
written _nocent_ without reference to the sea, if indeed the phrase
<Gk>nekra thalassos</> underlies the use of the word _nocent_.?"

Does anyone know of a critical text for Pliny's Natural History, or
specifically for (I think it is) Book V?

With reference to Isidoros's temporary absence, a slow-paced discussion is
fine with me, as this is suddenly a busy time, the start of the semester
in the U.S.

Best,
Sigrid Peterson  University of Pennsylvania  petersig@ccat.sas.upenn.edu

According to Russell Gmirkin: