Re: orion Qumran

At 02:16 PM 4/11/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Dear Jim:
>
>When in doubt, I bother you...I hope you don't mind.

Well, I dont know if I'm the Jim you had in mind. (Most likely I am not, as
there are other Jim's with better minds than mine).

>I am trying to put together the latest thinking re. the
>archaeology of Qumran for a 3 day seminar I have to do
>sooner than I thought.

There has, unfortuantely, not been much done in this area.  But a new book
by Hershel Shanks has a chapter on this VERY topic with all the current info
in it.  The title is "The Mystery and Meaning of the Dead Sea Scrolls"  P.
106-131.  If you need it right away I will be happy to copy it for you and
mail it to you.  Or, you can order the book.  Whatever (as my 11 year old
daughter is fond of saying!!!).

>Is there a publication that you know of that has this
>synthesized and up-to-date or has Hirschfeld turned
>everything upside down and there is a lot of re-evaluation
>going on?

No.  Since brother H. has not published anything on the matter there is no
debate possible.

>In other words is there a better synopsis than the BAR
>"debate"

Oh I'm sure there is!  The major publication is, however, still unavailable
(i.e., the final site report).  We will probably not live to see it!!!!

>Ever
>
>Mike

Best,

Jim