Re: orion Qumran

At 02:16 PM 4/11/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Dear Jim:
>When in doubt, I bother you...I hope you don't mind.

Well, I dont know if I'm the Jim you had in mind. (Most likely I am not, as
there are other Jim's with better minds than mine).

>I am trying to put together the latest thinking re. the
>archaeology of Qumran for a 3 day seminar I have to do
>sooner than I thought.

There has, unfortuantely, not been much done in this area.  But a new book
by Hershel Shanks has a chapter on this VERY topic with all the current info
in it.  The title is "The Mystery and Meaning of the Dead Sea Scrolls"  P.
106-131.  If you need it right away I will be happy to copy it for you and
mail it to you.  Or, you can order the book.  Whatever (as my 11 year old
daughter is fond of saying!!!).

>Is there a publication that you know of that has this
>synthesized and up-to-date or has Hirschfeld turned
>everything upside down and there is a lot of re-evaluation
>going on?

No.  Since brother H. has not published anything on the matter there is no
debate possible.

>In other words is there a better synopsis than the BAR

Oh I'm sure there is!  The major publication is, however, still unavailable
(i.e., the final site report).  We will probably not live to see it!!!!

Jim West, ThD
Quartz Hill School of Theology