Re: orion Unrolling Scrolls

At 12:59 PM 2/13/98 -0800, you wrote:
>	I can't imagine a better place to ask this question. I have in my
>possession an Esther Scroll from the 19th century that is in great shape
>except that the very first column of text cannot be unwound from the
>roller to which it is attached. It seems stuck to the roller. Does anyone
>have any advice on how to unroll this last column without damaging it. I'd
>like to be able to take care of this by Purim!
>
>I'd appreciate any advice. What did Sukenik use on Isaiah? MJ

>Martin S. Jaffee                      University of Washington
>Prof. & Chair, Comparative Religion   Box 353650
>Prof., Jewish Studies                 Seattle, WA 98195
>Phone: 206-543-9846                   FAX: 206-685-0668

Prof. Jaffee,

	I have no idea what Sukenik did with the Isaiah scroll and hope that maybe
someone else knows, but I can tell you what a sofer stam recently advised
me concerning a parchment lace pricking (pattern) of similar age which had
lost its shape and was badly warped. Since you're dealing with a 19th c.
piece of parchment and not a 2000 year old scroll fragment this shouldn't
cause any damage but of course you must decide whether you want to try this.
	Put the scroll in the bathroom with a vapourizer, -well away- from the
vapourizer, and fill the room with steam. The scroll should be lying on
something which won't collect condensation, such as a towel, and not be
placed under a cupboard or anything which would allow condensation to drop
onto the parchment. He stressed that the parchment should be steamed but
not wet. You may have to leave it there for several hours for it.
	Good luck. If you do find out how Sukenik unrolled scrolls and are
successful at getting your megillah unstuck, I'd like to hear about it.

Avital Pinnick

Avital Pinnick, Ph.D.					tel: 972-2-588-2063
Orion Center for the Study of the Dead Sea Scrolls	fax: 972-2-588-3584
http://orion.mscc.huji.ac.il
DSS bibliography updated weekly.