Re: orion Hirschfeld; E. Tov on scribes; etc.

    [The following text is in the "iso-8859-1" character set]

E. Tov's work on scribes is rather more nuanced and substantial than the
quotation below might imply, as are other issues--e.g., canons, text
interpretations, Samaritans, Essenes overall compared to the number at
Qumran, "impression," "fancy," and so on--which need not be jumbled
together with what could be seen as rhetorical frippery.
	Tov recently contributed "The Scribes of the Texts Found in the
Judaean Desert," in _The Quest for Context and Meaning: Studies in Biblical
Intertextuality in Honor of James A. Sanders_, ed. C.A. Evans & S. Talmon
(Leiden: Brill, 1997) 131-52. Contrary to efforts to divorce the Qumran
scrolls from the Qumran site and the community inhabitants (there and
elsewhere), Tov concludes about the Qumran community, for example, that
"...undoubtedly some of the texts were copied by that community." (p.143)
	By the way (without having reread lately the articles by K. Clark,
B. Metzger, A. Lemaire, et al.-- so this may have been raised before), is
it possible that the locus 30 table, which, apparently, was reconstructed
with a frame of modern lumber, was reconstructed at an incorrect height?

Sincerely,
Stephen Goranson
goranson@duke.edu

****