orion Chrisso Boulis on C14 Dating

Here is the promised update on Chrisso Boulis' interests and caveats about
carbon 14 dating. Chrisso has worked for years in the UPenn Museum
conservation department and is currently finishin up her dissertation
dealing with the Pompeii materials. She has given me permission to share
this reply (with its focus on smoke contamination) with the orion list.

(Judging from photos, de Vaux was a heavy smoker. How much did he come
into contact with the MSS? Smoking among the Bedouin discoverers is
probably to be taken for granted. Kando? Mar Samuel? Sukenik and Yadin?
Were any of the MSS team members heavy smokers?  I don't recall Allegro
smoking, or Cross; probably Strugnell; Milik or Starcky? Skehan? Hunzinger
or Baillet? How about an article entitled "Inkwells and Ashtrays:
Some Modern Perspectives on Researching the Ancient DSS"?)

Bob
--
kraft@ccat.sas.upenn.edu