Re: Essenes/Christians

netzarim@netvision.net.il wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Nov 1996 14:22:35 -0500 (EST)  Jim West wrote:
> >That some of the documents use self designations such as "The community of
> >the new covenant" (!) is what causes me to wonder about a Christian
> occupation.

	<snip>

  I'm not saying the idea
> is impossible, just that we must require more definitive references to
> Christianity in the DSS than merely this phrase to justify that idea.

	The idea of references to "Christianity" in the DSS is an anchronism.
The immediate post-crucifixion Yeshuine Jews were not Christians.  Their
leader Ya'aqov ben Yosef (ha-tsedek) was not a Christian.  This group,
like
Yeshua, were pious Jews.  Evidence of a very possible close association
between the Netzarim/Evyonim and the Assaya/Evyonim will not come from a
sudden discovery of the Gospel of John in the DSS corpus.  More likely
would be a closer examination of the very JEWISH texts that the Netzarim
held
dear, like the "Testament of the Twelve Patriarchs" or the Wisdom
literature.

Jack Kilmon
jpman@accesscomm.net