Re: Are 1000 scribes too many? was Re: DSS Scribes

Moshe Schulman:

The assumption here is that the community of Khirbet Qumran was as static as
Elephantine was. I think the odds of this are small. Whatever the community
was used for, I think we can assume that there was a greater turnover of
residents.

And what about the graveyard close to the settlement. Didn't contain
about a thousand graves?

By the way:
As to origin, has anybody made a spectographic analysis of the clay
of the jars that contained for example the Isaiah scroll from cave
one? I mean if the clay comes from around Qumran, it probably places
the burden of proof on the shoulders of those who would maintain that
this peice of writing came from Jerusalem (then it should have been
unpacked and repacked at Qumran). However, did the clay come from
Jerusalem, somebody will have a problem to explain away.

NPL
Niels Peter Lemche
Dep. Biblical Studies
University of Copenhagen