Re: The Essene Name

In a message dated 96-10-16 23:47:01 EDT, Vernon Chadwick writes:

<< Another of the corpus' self-designations would be 'ebionim' [the poor]
which
 occurs frequently in several documents.  Whether or not the 'ebionim'
referred
 to throughout the scrolls would be the one and the same as the 'Ebionites'
 described [interchangeably with Nazarenes] by Eusibius in _Ecclesiastical
 History_ some three hundred years later is highly subject to speculation,
 however there do seem to be references to the early Jerusalem church in the
NT
 as 'the poor' [ptochos] as well.  Where would one find the earliest