Re: inkwells, etc.

> Greg,
>      How in the world can anyone date the destruction to exactly 68 CE? I
> would highly doubt anyone who argues that it is possible to claim that Qumran
> was destroyed in 68 CE, around 68 CE, may be, but not beyond any doubt IN 68
> CE. Even numismatic evidence can't prove anything that accurately. Coins from
> 68 CE were still in use for years later and I highly doubt that with all of
> the turmoil in the land circa 68-70 CE that mints were being updated in the
> area and may have not even been minting. How concrete is this 68 CE date?
>
> -David Jay Kaufman
> HUC-JIR Jerusalem
> Rabbinical Student

I was as skeptical as you going into De Vaux's notes but
came out a believer on this particular point.  The
destruction layer, once that is established, is the
starting point.  Then it is comparing not just one but
all locuses with what is above and what is below that
destruction layer.  There are many Year 2 and a few
Year 3 Revolt coins below the destruction layer.  That
gives the "a quo" of 68 CE.  If it was just one locus
with no coins after this then there would be some ambiguity.
But there are a number of coins at different locuses on the site
from _after_ 68 CE above the destruction layer, but not
below the destruction layer with these Yr 2 and Yr 3
Revolt coins.  It is the perhaps half-dozen clear locuses
with this sequence which is the cumulative argument.
By "68 CE" I mean within a year or so margin, but that
is precise enough to speak, in shorthand, of 68 CE.

Greg Doudna