The First International Symposium
BIBLICAL PERSPECTIVES: EARLY USE AND INTERPRETATION OF THE BIBLE IN LIGHT OF THE DEAD SEA SCROLLS
12-14 MAY, 1996 - Hebrew University of Jerusalem
Recent decades have seen a remarkable renaissance of the study of
pseudepigraphical literature. This was partly fueled by the discovery of
the Dead Sea Scrolls and partly by developments in the study of
NewTestament and early Judaism. It is, however, only in the last few years
that the Discoveries in the Judaean Desert volumes, containing the
definitive texts of known and unknown pseudepigraphic writings, have
started to appear. Thus, "Pseudepigrapha and the Dead Sea Scrolls" raises
many new issues.
The Dead Sea Scrolls present us with an abundance of known and previously
unknown pseudepigrapha. The purpose of this year's symposium is to assess
what the contribution of the Dead Sea Scrolls is to the study of this
literature and which questions have been resolved and which others created
by the new discoveries.
We hope you will be able to join the participants and
attend the International Symposium sponsored by the Orion
Center for the Dead Sea Scrolls, Hebrew University.
- G. ANDERSON,"The Law before Sinai in the
DSS and Paul"
- J. BAUMGARTEN,"Scripture and Law in
- G. BROOKE,"Shared Textual Interpretations
in the DSS and NT"
- S. FRAADE,Looking for Legal Midrash at Qumran"
- G. NICKELSBURG,A Haggadic Tendency in the
- F. SCHMIDT,Ancient Jewish Astrology: An
Attempt to Interpret 4QCryptic (4Q186)
- U. RAPPAPORT,"The Use of the Bible in I
- D. SCHWARTZ, "The Use of the Bible in II
- I. FRUHLICH,'Narrative Exegesis' in the DSS
and Questions of the Genre Pesher
- M. KISTER, "A Common Heritage: Biblical
Interpretation at Qumran and its Implications"
- E. Schuller,"The Teminology of Prayer
in the Bible and the DSS"
- B. Nitzan,"Post-biblical Rib Pattern
Admonitions in 4Q302/302a & 4Q381 67, 76-77"
- S. Talmon,"Re-living Biblical Israel in
the Greco-Roman Period"
- M. Bernstein,"Early Jewish Biblical
Interpretation before and after Qumran"
- D. Dimant,"Time and Torah at Qumran"
- E. Main, "For King Jonathan or Against Him:
On the Use of the Bible in 4Q448"
- L. SCHIFFMAN, "The Case of the Day of
- M. Weinfeld, "High Treason According to
Deuteronomy and its Interpretation in the Temple Scroll"
- A. Rofe,"4QMidrSam?": Observations
Concerning the Character of 4QSam a"
- E. TOV, "The Rewritten Book of Joshua in Qumran
- M. Morgenstern,"The Song of Noah in
the Genesis Apocryphon"
- J. Kugel,"Some Examples of Ancient
S. Japhet, G.W.E. Nickelsburg;
M. E. Stone, presiding
IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT PAPERS
The names listed in bold have complete papers posted.
Papers that appear on this page are unedited, unrevised
prepublication versions. They are not to be cited.
Copyright belongs to the authors. They will appear eventually in edited,
revised versions as part of our proceedings series. Greek and Hebrew texts
have not been formatted.