Re: orion-list More than enough

> Need an Essene document for proof of the connection between the scrolls
> and the essenes? Try the manual of discipline for a starter

You're joking, I hope.  There are numerous disparities between the
praxis in the Manual of Discipline and the reports we have from
Josephus and others about the Essenes.  These have been pointed
out many, many times and to my knowledge have never been
adequately explained by the Essene hypothesis.  What we usually
see is "perhaps there were other types of Essenes who did this
and that" and such, which is more than a little ad hoc and prone to
sheer unfounded speculation.  The fact is, we simply don't know
who wrote 1QS and its 4Q siblings, we don't know what their
associations were or what their overall agendas were.  The Essene
interpretation is one among many, nothing more.

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
violated."  C. S. Lewis
For private reply, e-mail to "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur@nyx.net>