Re: orion-list Essenes at Qumran: A Reality Check

Rochelle Altman argued that anyone living at Qumran would need 32 litres of
water per day, and that by reductio ad absurdum this proves that no Essenes
lived there (to summarise a longer argument).
Thus "Any elementary text book on human physiology immediately removes Khirbet
Qumran as a site for Josephus' or Pliny's Essene settlements."

I'd like to know the elementary textbook from which you get the figures
cited in your post (but not to learn physiology). These figures are
completely unrealistic.

Peter Head

For private reply, e-mail to pmh15@cam.ac.uk (Peter M. Head)