Re: orion-list Essenes at Qumran: A Reality Check

Al,

Josephus says one thing in War and another in Ant. So, what do you
mean by "nobody"? I presented worst case per Ant where Jos _does_
say 4,000... and don't forget Pliny.

Cut the amount of water and people in half and it is still impossible.
As I said, the area would not support an agricultural community of
only *80* people. Now if to elementary physiology, simple logistics
involved in water transport, living and working conditions worse than
at Massawa, and never much water to spare in that climate for "frivolities,"
such as baths, we add your point from the text and the latrines... why
we are getting loads of reality checks. <G>

Cheers,

Rochelle

PS: As the first was double length, I am counting this post as number 3
for the day. Ciao.
--
Dr. Rochelle I. Altman, co-coordinator IOUDAIOS-L  risa@hol.gr

For private reply, e-mail to "Rochelle I. Altman" <risa@isis.hol.gr>