RE: orion-list War Scroll and Cargo cults

Albert,

I made the suggestion some years ago in a paper read at the national AAR/SBL
that the Similitudes of Enoch might be viewed in light of similar cargo cult
phenomenon.  I take them to have been produced during the crisis threatening
the temple under Gaius Caligula.  The paper was included in the SBL seminar
papers:

"The Measure of Redemption:  The Similitudes of Enoch, Nonviolence, and
National Integrity," Society of Biblical Literature 1983 Seminar Papers,
ed. Kent Harold Richards (Chico, California: Scholars Press, 1983):  167-76.

I encourage you to develop the idea, because I think that it has merit.

David Suter
Saint Martin's College

For private reply, e-mail to "Suter, David" <dsuter@stmartin.edu>