Re: orion-list guilty corpses

Dear Christophe,

    Having reread the passages you cited, I'd have to say, I stand very
corrected.  1QM 7:5-7 definitely has the same sequence of topics and is
clearly based on Deut. 23:9-14, which in turn calls for the (war) camp to be
holy, for the reason you cite.
    Thanks for setting me straight.
    I am now doubly perplexed with respect to those whose job description at
1QM 7:2 included despoiling the slain.  I have assumed that they would incur
a seven day impurity in doing so.  How was this implemented?  During this
time were they required to eat and sleep in the wilds, or in an auxiliary
camp, or what?  If so, I hope they got extra hazard pay.
   Or am I wrong that despoiling the slain would entail an uncleanness?  If
one only touched, say, the clothes of the slain but avoided contact with the
body as such, would that entail a one-day uncleanness curable by sundown with
the red heifer ceremony?  I note that Num. 19 does not mention the clothes of
the dead man.  But as I understand it, a corpse conveys uncleanness to
"utensils" of cloth or sacking, which I would think includes clothes.  My
apologies for asking questions of such a basic nature.

   Best regards,
   Russell Gmirkin
For private reply, e-mail to RGmyrken@aol.com