Re: orion-list Qumran burials, an important new article

Dear Sigrid,

	As I read the Zias article, the train of thought is different than your
description. As a physical anthropologist Zias evaluated Qumran burials and
concluded that the ancient interments are overwhelmingly adult and male and
not the result of battle. Then he offered that such accords with and
supports other indications that Essenes lived at Qumran. I would add that
some Qumran mss are self-identified as Essene (los Esenios in Spanish, one
s) by their distinctive uses of the Hebrew root 'asah. On that I have
challenged some so-called "consensus" scholars, many of whom, not all, have
supported one of two Aramaic etymologies not anciently attested in
reference to Essenes.

	I differ with Zias by saying his article does not exclude married Essenes
elsewhere.

	One needless possible point of confusion. One can reasonably speak either
of the Q cemetery or Q cemeteries, depending how one draws borders. But
more important than location (though later interments may indeed tend to be
peripheral in location) is the difference between ancient and modern,
Bedouin, burials.

	Perhaps Joe Z. will comment, if I got this wrong, if he is still
subscribed. BTW, Juergen Z. has indicated he will respond when his new
email is set up.

best wishes,

Stephen Goranson
Durham NC