orion-list Amusin Thanks, 4QD biblio query

    Thanks to all who responded with information on Amusin's publication in Ve
stnik Drevnej Istorii.  I'll have to dig up some Russian relatives to help me
translate.

    I have another question, regarding the proper citation of 4QD fragments.
I have noticed that only rarely is there a correspondence between 4QD
references in Charlotte Hempel's _The Laws of the Damascus Document_ (Brill,
1998) and the numbering in the translation I habitually use by Garcia
Martinez. For instance, a passage labeled 4QD(b) 6 ii 1-16 in Garcia Martinez
is cited as 4QD(a) 5 ii 1-16 in Hempel, etc., apparently reflecting
controversy over which fragments belong to which document.  Who is currently
the authoritative source to use on 4QD?  (I am guessing Baumgarten in Qumran
Cave 4 XIII which remarkably is not yet accessible locally.  Charlesworth's
volume with CD + 4QD fragments edited by Baumgarten was disappointingly
incomplete.)

    Thanks again,
    Russell Gmirkin

For private reply, e-mail to RGmyrken@aol.com