Re: orion-list photo

> Forwarded on behalf of David Suter:
>
> >Has anyone looked at the script in the photo on the web site
> >  (http://www.nationalpost.com/news.asp?s2=world&f=000415/260606.html)?
> >I copied it to my computer and
> >  opened it in in Kodak Imaging, which displayed it full screen at
> >100%.  Some of the characters could be
> >  Paleo-Hebrew and other Aramaic script, but is it Hebrew?

I fiddled with it a little in Micrografix Picture Publisher, zomming,
lightening, etc. and there do seem to be a few recurring characters
that look somewhat Hebrew, most notably a square-script qoph
and possibly a few examples of daleth in a Qumran-type script.  I
didn't see any characters that I can definitely identify as paleo-
Hebrew script, and there were many that simply appear to be some
sort of gibberish.  At least one potential beth was backward, and a
couple of characters in the first line appear to be crude attempts to
mimic something paleo-Hebrew without real success.  It looks like
a hoax to me, and the caption's blatant statement that the
inscription is 2300 years old makes it immediately suspect to me.

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
                                   Psalm 86:11
For private reply, e-mail to "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur@nyx.net>