Re: orion-list Qumran coins

    [The following text is in the "ISO-8859-1" character set]
    [Your display is set for the "ISO-8859-8" character set]

Hi Steve!

I am afraid, as with most of Qumran archaeology, there is no such thing as
a "complete" list/inventory etc. It is fragments (like in real archaeological
life). I saw a similar exhibition in Cologne two years ago, they probably had the
same coins on display there.
Here are a few titles on Qumran numismatics I know of
W.Wirgin, Numismatics and Dead Sea Scrolls, RQ 2/5 (1959), 69-74
M.Sharabani, Monnaies de Qumran au Musée Rockefeller de Jerusalem, RB 87 (1980),
274-284.
A.S.Arif, A Treasury of Classical and Islamic Coins. The Collection of Amman
Museum, London 1986
J.Ciecielag, Coins from the So-Called Essene Settlements on the Dead Sea Shore,
in: Z.J.Kapera (ed.), Mogilany 1995. Papers of the Dead Sea Scrolls offered in
memory of Aleksy Klawek, Cracow 1998, 105-115 (very important)
You might also want to read the discussion on the whereabouts of some coiuns in:
M.O.Wise etc (eds.), Methods of Invesitigation of the Dead Sea Scrolls and the
Khirbet Qumran Site, New York 1994 (ANYAS 722), 32-38.
R.D.Leonard, Numismatic Evidence for the Dating of Qumran, Qumran Chronicle 7
(1997), 225-234.
and the indispensable list provided by F.Rohrhirsch in the Gerrman translation of
R.DeVaux's Excavation diaries (NTOA.Series Archaeologica 1a,
Fribourg/Switzerland/Göttingen 1996),pp.119-131 and 159-181.
There is also an article in one of the Qumran Chronicles issued in the 90ies
discussing the numismatic spectrum from Masada, which isd also very helpful.
Unfoprtunately, I just cannot recall the author and number of the issue.

That's what I know; I'd be happy if anybody on orion might want to supplement it!

All the best, and please keep me tuned on what you find out, Steve!

Juergen

Dr. Juergen Zangenberg
Bergische Universitaet Wuppertal
Germany