Re: orion-list Tantlevskij on "Essenes"

    [The following text is in the "iso-8859-1" character set]
    [Your display is set for the "ISO-8859-8" character set]

> Tantlevskij--like most scholars--recognizes that a
> significant portion of the Qumran mss are Essene. But there is no special
> emphasis on Jesse in Qumran Essene texts to support such a
> self-designation. Also, one might expect reference somewhere to "sons of
> Jesse", or the like.

Steve,
The Mechoqeq theme is widespread in the DSS. You know, I know, everybody
knows. So what? And it's quite clear that the resulting Davidic Jesse
language shows similarities to a certain hut in Bethlehem. It is recognized,
that Jesse was called a Bethleheminite. No doubt that the stem in the
decisive passage of Isaiah delivered the wood for the later birth myth of
Christ - now with an ascended star above (and ignoring the mechocheqot). But
to link these 'descendents of the Jessean stem' of the DSS (self-designation
or not, doesn't matter) with their Christian counterpart - and that is what
you get, Steve - the jihad-like Immanuel-group in the Maid Marian story,
then, means frustrating war of faith. Or at least the endless loop of a
zero-sum-play between the DSS and Matthew at Cassandra's Q-Logia Crossing.
Better we intend to avoid devastation. Simply because the sun shines.

Dierk

For private reply, e-mail to "Dierk van den Berg" <haGalil@gmx.net>