Re: orion-list Modern Esther Scroll Question

Dear Tyler,
It sounds like you have a standard scroll of esther used in synagogue
worship. Without any particular additions such as illuminations you'd
probably have trouble dating it precisely. I don't know what carbon 1 4
would give you or some dating method like that if it is a recent megillah,
as it probably is. YOu can probably pinpoint its place of origin
moreprecisely by examining the form of the letters. Ashkenazi and Sephardi
megillot and sifrey torah have somewhat different scripts.

As for its value, if it is kosher, that is, letter perfect and fully
legible, then it is usable for reading and you should be able to sell it
at market prices of regular megillot. If you could date it precisely and
find its place of origin and there were significance to that you could
perhaps try selling it as an antique, or as a piece of "Judaica". If I ran
across such a megillah and examined it and found it Kosher I would keep it
and use it.  You might try taking it to a local "sofer stam" to see if you
can get any more information.

By the way, less than a month ago a student walked into my office carrying
a megillah with a very similar story. He had been given a megillah by
someone he had never seen in his life whom he ran into outside a pawn shop
in Switzerland. The person gave him the megillah and disappeared. the
student came to me for i am a professor of Bible at Ben gurion University
in Beer Sheva, and wanted "expert" advice. I told him more or less what I
told you. The major difference between the two "finds" is that his, rather
than being in a tin case (a very commonly used container in my
experience) had a pole at the inner end on which it was
rolled. UNfortunately the said pole was broken at one end, the knob being
missing. That damaged whatever artistic merit the scroll hay have
had. Also, since the decoration could have helped more precise dating,
that clue was partially lost.
Victor HUrowitz