Re: orion-list Bannus and Josephus

For those interested in a different interpretation of the diet attributed
to expelled Essenes, John the Baptist, Bannus, the Maccabees in the hills
at the time of the revolt and Josephus's priestly captive friends (I think
that is all), see my article on Ancient Jewish Sectarianism in the Fall
1998 issue of Judaism. I don't think it has anything to do with politics
and all to do with boundary marking against the impurity of the outsider.
Sometimes that outsider is a "real" non-Jewish source of uncleanness. For
sectarian Jews that threatening outsider is a non-sectarian "fellow" Jew.
Al Baumgarten

For private reply, e-mail to Albert Baumgarten <baumgaa@mail.biu.ac.il>