orion-list Two Josephus Citations?

Prof. Suter:

Here is my reference for the Bannus section:

> 1) Flavius Josephus Life of Josephus 7 (Whiston)
>
>  These sects are three: - The first is that of the Pharisees, the
> second > that > Sadducees, and the third that of the Essens, as we have
frequently
> told > you; for I thought that by this means I might choose the best,
if I
> were > once acquainted with them all; so I contented myself with hard
fare,
> and > underwent great difficulties, and went through them all. Nor did
> content myself with these trials only; but when I was informed that
> one, > whose name was Banus, lived in the desert, and used no other
> clothing  than grew upon trees, and had no other food than what grew of
its
> own  accord, and bathed himself in cold water frequently, both by night

> and by day, in order to preserve his chastity, I imitated him in those
things, and
> continued with him three years.
>
> So when I had accomplished my desires [an implication that we became
> fully initiated as an Essene after 3 years?], I returned back to the
> city, being now nineteen years old, and began to conduct myself
> according to the rules of the sect of the Pharisees, which is of kin to
the
> sect of  the Stoics, as the Greeks call them.
>
> = = = = = = = =
> End of Text

Perhaps you can send me the exact transcript and location of "your"
text to me as a side email.  Are the differences you see due only to
the translation?  If so, I wouldn't want to think we are going to head
down the road of "My Josephus is bigger than yours...."

I look forward to your comments and further explanation of these
differences - - (either on Orion or through direct email until such time
as we have resolved the significance of these variations).

Thanks!

George Brooks
Tampa, FL

For private reply, e-mail to George Brooks <george.x.brooks@juno.com>