Re: orion-list Philo

    To clarify matters for George Brooks, I too think it is odd to use Philo
to determine the identity of the Wicked Priest.  A major point of my last
posting is how decidedly odd it is to find a reference to the Wicked Priest
in Philo, given that the savage rulers in "Every Good Man is Free" are said
to have extolled the Essenes.
    Let me point out for George that "Every Good Man is Free" does not
discuss the Therapeutae.  They are the topic of "The Contemplative Life".  I
don't believe the Jewish community described in "The Contemplative Life" was
invented by Philo, but consisted of refugees after the riots of 38 CE.  (This
is indeed indicated by the second lesser-known name that Philo gives this
community, namely the Iketon, a term meaning fugitive, suppliant, one seeking
protection.)
    Philo does however spiritualize what he knew about the refugee community
and invent some of their religious practices, as is clear by a comparison
with Chaeremon's work on the Egyptian priests, preserved at Porphyry, _De
Abstinentia_ 4.6-8.  Chaeremon described the Egyptian priests (of which he
was one) as living a life of "contemplation," abstinence, fasting,
purification, isolation, etc.  The verbal parallels are striking, especially
in such minor details as both groups keeping their hands within their dress,
eating only bread with hyssop, abstaining from meat or sexual intercourse,
singing hymns, etc.  (See Peter Willem van der Horst, Chaeremon:  Egyptian
Priest and Stoic Philosopher [Leiden, E.J. Brill 1984].)
    In terms of Philo's motivation, one may point out that Chaeremon is
probably identical to the Chaeremon son of Leonidas in the list of
Alexandrian delegates to Claudius in 41 CE on the matter of the Alexandrian
riots.  Chaeremon was thus a leading opponent of Philo, who remained at Rome
in 41 as part of the Jewish embassy on the same issue.  Chaeremon (like
Apion, another delegate) wrote an essay against the Jews.  Much as Josephus
later wrote an essay Contra Apion defending the Jews, so Philo countered
Chaeremon's writings in his own small way.  It appears to me that "The
Contemplative Life" describes a Jewish community whose practices mirrored
(and were largely copied from) the practices of the Egyptian priests as
described by Chaeremon.  It is conceivable that both essays circulated at
Rome.  More likely the essays circulated in Alexandria where the debate of
the relative merits of Judaism with Graeco-Egyptian practices doubtless
figured into the propaganda surrounding the religious strife in that city.

    Russell Gmirkin
For private reply, e-mail to RGmyrken@aol.com