orion-list Toynbee's Triad of Historical Presentation

I appreciate David Hindley's creative efforts to put some perspective
on what kind of perspective professors and/or Orion participants
might employ in treating DSS history.

I am still uncomfortable with the third category as "fictional"
recreation
(whether this is Toynbee's phrasing or Hindley's is not too important
to me).  I have never advocated this particular realm of endeavor.

But I find Hindley's breakdown of the other two categories (facts vs.
elucidation) a helpful one.  When I can encounter someone who will
willingly go down in flames over a "fact" and yet not have any integrated
"elucidation" of these facts, I wonder (as I've suggested before) if
they are not "dying" for the wrong reasons.   (Though, quite noble
this "death" would be!)

Obviously I am not suggesting that we should throw out the "facts".
But considering how easy it is for "facts" to really be interpretations,
it would be best if interpretations were colored and informed by some
well thought out "elucidations" or "scenarios" or "theoretical
relationships"
before giving one's life for a "fact" which may not be a fact at all.

As Prof. Goranson so wisely put it, it is not sound methodology to base
an entire theory on a single Hebrew letter perceived to be inscribed on a
scroll.  And I think the same can be said about certain other "facts" - -

like some radiocarbon datings, and any other countless items that seem
to be a "one time" instance of some unusual thought or idea.

Please, do not write historical fiction for my sake.  But be willing to
put
all the dry little facts of our DSS work into workable scenarios that can
be tested by other facts as they make themselves known.  This elucidation
will make your work that much more relevant.

George Brooks
Tampa, FL

For private reply, e-mail to George Brooks <george.x.brooks@juno.com>