Re: orion-list 63 BCE

Greg Doudna seems quite adamant about the 63 BCE position.
I am not sure that this position has much of an affect on my own
thoughts about the origin of the DSS/Essene sect(s).  So I am a bit
more tolerant (and even interested) in what he might have to say.

Perhaps Greg Doudna could "paint a picture" about how he perceives
the Essenes emerged, perhaps including a brief mention of how he
believes the Pharisees developed?  And finally, perhaps these two
scenarios
can be tied in to how he pictures the Assideans/Hasidim connecting
to both or either of these two groups (if he believes there is a
connection).

While an earlier or later date of deposit of the scrolls really doesn't
affect my own position that factions within the Hasidim-style "alliance"
of the Maccabeean period began to differentiate as the legitimacy of the
Hasmonean kings came to be derived from tradition and institutionalized
military & commercial interests, rather than from the military prowess
(or
even relevance) of the Hasidim Militia/Yahad/Doers.  I believe that these
factions eventually became the Sadducees, Pharisees and Essenes.  It
would
help me if I had an idea of how Doudna "sees" these groups evolving or
developing over time.

While I am specifically interested in Greg's viewpoint, I certainly
welcome
and encourage the same kind of discussion from other Orion participants.
It is too easy to simply "shoot down" other people's theories; what is
hard
is to develop an internally coherent theories that do the least violence
the facts or interpretations at hand.  And I'm not sure that there has
been
enough exploration of fully-integrated scenarios of the origins of the
Essene or DSS-style communities.

George Brooks
Tampa, FL

For private reply, e-mail to George Brooks <george.x.brooks@juno.com>