Re: Copper Scroll (was Re: orion-list Essenes, Zias article, etc.

I very much enjoyed Mr. Leonard's email about Hasmonean place names.
It fits in very nicely with my idea that as the Maccabeean "matrix" of
revolutionary factions evolved, there was still a strong tie between the
Saducceean/priestly families of the Temple, and with the DSS/Essene
communities in the wilderness who were, at the time of the restoration
of the Temple, the chief patrons of these re-established Sadducee
families
(prior to the Maccabeean conflict, these top families might have been
called "Sons of Saddoc").

At the time of the Hasmonean conflict with the Pharisees, it is easy for
me to picture an ongoing connection between the highest priestly families
of the Temple, and the ascetic communities in the Wilderness that would
write and or collect the DSS texts .... as well as the Copper Scroll.

It would be many years and tragic events later, that these high priestly
families (the Sadducees) would be completely overhauled (or massacred)
by Herod to make them into the image we see in the New Testament.

Mr. Leonard may not share a high opinion with these ideas that I "expand"
from his original email, but in anycase I was quite happy to receive his
academic contribution on the place names of the Copper Scroll.

George Brooks
Tampa, FL

For private reply, e-mail to George Brooks <george.x.brooks@juno.com>