Re: orion-list Philo

Dear Stephen Goranson,

    Thank you for sharing your thoughts on "Every Good Man is Free".  I will
certainly let the list know where my article will appear when the time comes.
 If you would care to informally take part in the peer review process,
perhaps you could be more specific as to the objections you perceive, i.e.
amplify your comment that "time and space considerations, among other things,
exclude your proposal" (privately if you prefer).  In the meantime, I will
try to track down the bibliographic references you have already cited - the
holidays have somewhat hampered my efforts there.
    I followed you as far as Pliny, but you lost me on Shakespeare and
Charlie Brown.  I think the motive for departing the cities is indicated by
Philo's pregnant reference to "turmoils and disturbances innumerable" in even
the best of cities (Contemplative Life 19), which suggests to the astute
reader the question, to what disturbances does Philo refer or have in mind?
    I'm sorry to hear about your illness.   I hope it's not serious.

    Sincerely,
    Russell Gmirkin

For private reply, e-mail to RGmyrken@aol.com