Re: orion-list Philo and pacifism of Essenes

Dierk:

Sometimes you work very hard to develop a "significance" without
a "difference".

Obviously there was a general ancient sentiment against women
joining in warfare.... as there is even today.

The point I was making is that if the Egyptian Therapeutae allowed
women to participate as "equals" (or near equals?), while the Essenes
had a reputation for keeping women separate.

This "separateness" may have still have:
1] allowed for all female households in and amongst the
	male households, or
2] which allowed living with women as "married Essenes" for those
	Essenes who fit that category, or
3] which allowed living with "sisters" and "mothers" in an unwed
	state but excluding them from the spiritual function of the
	community.

Thus, in terms of "potential" pacifism or aggressiveness, it is
easier to see the Therapeutae as having the more pacificist
inclinations.  They seem more flexible from the foundation.

However, in the end, I have to Greg Doudna in maintaining that
this whole idea of pacifist Therapeautae **or** Essenes is more
myth than reality.

To the Doers of Torah/Doers of War/Healers/Stalwart Ones
of Old,

George Brooks
Tampa, FL

For private reply, e-mail to George Brooks <george.x.brooks@juno.com>