Re: orion-list 4Q448

>         Judah, an Essene mentioned by Josephus, and a contemporary of King
> Jonathan, has been proposed by some scholars as the teacher of
> righteousness.

This is set out principally by William Brownlee ('The Midrash Pesher of
Habakkuk' and elsewhere). This is based on nothing more than coincidence
(a reference in Josephus during a period more or less associated with
the Teacher) and the use of phrases such as 'Simple of Judah' 'House of
Judah' etc. overlooking the fact that Judah stands with Ephraim and
Manasseh as cryptic designations for groups (Pharisees, Sadducees and
Community respectively - I know that Greg D. disagrees with me on this
point).

Marcus Wood
Department of Theology
University of Durham