Re: orion-list Leo's Objections - Essenes, Zias article, etc.

Dear Leo,

I agree that the "library" of Qumran (scattered amongst the caves)
could VERY WELL come from different times and different groups.
But does this mean we throw our hands up in despair?  No.  We look
at the significant works and we evaluate WHICH seems to fit best
with the principle Jewish sects:  Is it Sadduccean?  Is it Pharisaic?
Is it Essenian?  Or is it something else?

When Josephus and Hippolytus say that the PRINCIPLE sects of
Judaism are the three above, it is not to EXCLUDE.  It is to provide
rough and general categories.  And yet, even with these rough categories,
it is possible to see congruence between most of the DSS texts and the
Essene/Zealot points of view (by Essene/Zealot I am touching on the
Masada group that seems to sum up everything we can glean from
the DSS material).

As far as the war with the Romans, obviously there is no OBLIGATION
to go to war.  But there are PLENTY of references that SUPPORT an
individual,
family, clan, or anyother DSS-type group, who might decide they needed
to.  And when you throw in the War Scroll, obviously these people were
not
just knitting sweaters.....

Regarding your 3rd paragraph.... Where on earth did you get these ideas?
> 3. Hippolytus most certainly confused the Hasmonean rulers and the
> Essenes on the question of forced conversions. There would have been
> no room for such converts in the Yahad community.
> You cannot accept the authenticity of the Community Rule when it
> suits you and  ignore it when you are trying to justify its
> rejection.

I strongly doubt that Hippolytus was confused on such matters.  And it is
not clear to me what part of the Community Rule do you think I'm
ignoring?

I look forward to your clarifications...

George Brooks
Tampa, FL
George.X.Brooks@JUNO.com

For private reply, e-mail to George Brooks <george.x.brooks@juno.com>