Re: orion-list Pacifism of Essenes deconstructed

To David and Greg:

I recently FINISHED Michael Wise's FIRST MESSIAH.  An excellent work!
He brings together strands of material that have not been brought
together
before.

While parts of it get almost wearisome because it is obviously a
fictional
rendering (to give the reader the FLAVOR of what might have happened), I
found it to be an important work.

As far as the incident described by Greg about Judah the Essene and
"inciting"
an assasination, Mr. Wise does NOT mention this at all.  The possible
"FUN"
he could have had with this is SO obvious, one wonders if he isn't laying
the
ground work for a SECOND book.  He probably has chosen the right
approach.

He does NOT over-step the reach of his conclusions by trying to tie his
JUDAH
into EVERY Judah mentioned by Josephus.  Instead, he works to put
together
the MOST reliable of ideas and conjecture, and yet still cover NEW
ground.

In the end, I have concluded that much of his argumentation is correct,
but NOT
the time frame he suggests.  But maybe I'll change my mind as time goes
by.

George Brooks
Tampa, FL
George.X.Brooks@JUNO.com