RE: orion-list Pacifism of Essenes deconstructed

    [The following text is in the "iso-8859-1" character set]
    [Your display is set for the "ISO-8859-8" character set]

-----Original Message-----
From: Greg Doudna
To: 'orion@mscc.huji.ac.il'
Sent: 12/16/99 6:04 AM
Subject: orion-list Pacifism of Essenes deconstructed

The question to me is not whether this reading or interpretation
of the story is an obvious one but why it has never been
mentioned (so far as I know) in any published literature on
Essenes.  Is it the romanticizing of the Essenes that has
shaped responses to texts such as this in ways below
consciousness, such that obvious readings are not simply
rejected, but are literally not even seen such that they can
be rejected?

Greg Doudna

Greg,

You might want to take a look at Michael Wise's The First Messiah.  I'm just
starting to read it, and in leafing through I can't so far determine whether
he deals with the incident that you mention, but he does cast the first
messiah as a prophet named Judah related to the period in which you are
interested.

David Suter
Saint Martin's College
For private reply, e-mail to "Suter, David" <dsuter@stmartin.edu>