RE: orion-list Essenes, Zias article, etc.

    [The following text is in the "iso-8859-1" character set]
    [Your display is set for the "ISO-8859-8" character set]

Dear Leo,

Thanks for your response.  There is undoubtedly enough frustration and anger
over the delay in publication to go around; however, I believe that de Vaux
died in the early 70's before the delay emerged as an issue.  While the
subjectivity of the scholars is an interesting sidelight to understanding
the history of the development of scholarship, academic discussion needs to
rise and fall on the merits of the ideas and not how they developed.  I tend
to favor Shiffman's approach to the social description of the people
responsible for the scrolls as the result of the work that I have done on 1
Enoch and the priestly tradition; however, I like to hear Stephan's
tenacious arguments for the Essene hypothesis because they make me stop and
think.

David Suter
Saint Martin's College

For private reply, e-mail to "Suter, David" <dsuter@stmartin.edu>