Re: orion-list Essenes, Zias article, etc.

On Thu, 9 Dec 1999 10:19:37 EST,  RLWinnetka@aol.com writes:
>In a message dated 99-12-09 06:03:48 EST, Stephen Goranson wrote:
><< Dear Leo Abrami,

   [... snip ... noted ...]

>... ...I drew attention to the fact that a number of the Copper Scroll
>treasures are about the same size (based on Dr. Lefkovits's calculation of
>their weights) as hoards of shekels of the period 30 B.C.E. - 70 C.E.
>discovered in Israel.  In fact, one of the treasures corresponds fairly
>closely with a known coin hoard, in size and location.

   Thank you for giving us advance notice of your conclusions.  I've
   suspected the "ground' will tell us a lot more about Qumran when
   the work of the last fity years has been properly sifted.

>My conclusions are (1) the Copper Scroll is an authentic record of treasures
>already buried and (2) the amount of treasure claimed to have been concealed
>(undoubtedly greatly exaggerated in some cases, at least) could only have
>come from the Temple, and was far beyond the means of the Qumran
>sectarians/Essenes.  A hoard of shekels was found at Qumran, but it is a tiny
>fraction of the total Copper Scroll treasures (and is not one of them).

   Although putting up on a Web an accepted Journal article is
   supposedly "not done", this information, revealed once reviewed,
   might have shortened our sometimes unfounded public analyses of
   issues.

>Robert D. Leonard Jr.
>Winnetka, IL

Tom Simms