Re: orion-list Essenes, Zias article, etc.

In a message dated 99-12-09 06:03:48 EST, Stephen Goranson wrote:

<< Dear Leo Abrami,

    I do not ignore the copper scroll; I have written (in JJS and
 elsewhere) that is is an Essene list, including items for a future temple. >>

In a paper presented at the International Numismatic Congress in Berlin on 10
September 1997, "Numismatic evidence for the authenticity of the Copper
Scroll," (the proceedings of which have been very much delayed, but were
supposed to have been published this "fall"--and hopefully will come out any
day now), I drew attention to the fact that a number of the Copper Scroll
treasures are about the same size (based on Dr. Lefkovits's calculation of
their weights) as hoards of shekels of the period 30 B.C.E. - 70 C.E.
discovered in Israel.  In fact, one of the treasures corresponds fairly
closely with a known coin hoard, in size and location.

My conclusions are (1) the Copper Scroll is an authentic record of treasures
already buried and (2) the amount of treasure claimed to have been concealed
(undoubtedly greatly exaggerated in some cases, at least) could only have
come from the Temple, and was far beyond the means of the Qumran
sectarians/Essenes.  A hoard of shekels was found at Qumran, but it is a tiny
fraction of the total Copper Scroll treasures (and is not one of them).

Robert D. Leonard Jr.
Winnetka, IL
For private reply, e-mail to RLWinnetka@aol.com