Re: orion-list Qumran skeletons/gender

Others may wish to confirm or correct this, but my recollection is that
Joe Zias argued that the skeletons of women and children at the cemetery
were of recent (within the last 200 years) burial, presumably by local
bedouin, an hence had nothing to do with the ancient Qumran settlement.

Steven Fraade

On Wed, 1 Dec 1999, Greg Doudna wrote:

> However apparently Joe Zias gave a presentation at SBL in Boston
> suggesting the opposite--according to my hearsay, Zias apparently
> argued that there was no evidence of women in the cemetery, also
> citing new data!

Steven D. Fraade
Department of Religious Studies       Office Tel: (203) 432-0828
Yale University                       Office Fax: (203) 432-7844
P.O. Box 208287 / 320 Temple Street   Internet: steven.fraade@yale.edu
New Haven, CT 06520-8287 U.S.A.