orion-list Prof. Goranson's "DOERS" - A MACCABEAN EVIDENCE?

As I pondered the idea that the secretive, decentralized and zealous DSS
organizational structure was designed to defeat an opponent militarily
instead of merely by prayer, I
returned to the old issue of whether DSS text reveals WHERE the term
Essene might have come from.

If the DSS Sectarians were in fact a monastic warrior organization, I
wondered what the Hebrew might be for the word "warrior" or "warriors."

Strong's Dictionary lists word #5431 [Saw-an] as WARRIOR or SOLDIER (from
wearing boots)  [please forgive me for not having Hebrew compatible
software].  And there is only ONE use for this word.

But word #6213 + #4421 means WARRIOR.  There are TWO uses of this phrase,
and
it is the ever popular [aw sah] (DOERS) and [mil-khaw-maw] (Battle or
War).

Doers of the Law can ALSO be Doers of War.  And in the case of the DSS
members,
the Doers of War are also SECRET doers (during the Maccabean era).

Interestingly, the English word "AGENT" also means DOER.  And in some
cases it would be quite appropriate to refer to these sectarians as
AGENTS OF THE LAW, as well as AGENTS OF WAR or even SECRET AGENTS (Secret
Doers).

I have always maintained that the DSS community was so enamored with puns
and figures of speech, it would always be hard to say WHICH derivation
was the REAL source, and which one was the secondary "play" on words.
While I have been a fan of the idea that the word for COUNCIL was the
source for Essene, I've reached the point where it seems easy enough to
see DOER as the primary source for Essene/Ossean.

Thanks, Prof. Goranson, for bearing with me while we "processed" this
issue.  What was once just a footnote by Eisenman offering your view as
the most likely interpretation is now something I don't think I need to
worry about anymore.  Though it's probably true that neither Prof.
Goranson OR Dr. Eisenman are as interested in the Maccabean spin as I am.

George Brooks
Tampa, FL
George.X.Brooks@JUNO.com
For private reply, e-mail to George Brooks <george.x.brooks@juno.com>